History of Exodyne, Inc.

Founder Ralph Rockow formed Exodyne—a debt-free, privately-owned corporation dedicated to prioritizing the needs of its customers—according to three simple yet powerful principles:

  • Operate ethically
  • Meet all deadlines
  • Exceed customer expectations

It started in 1942 when Hugh DeHaven was appointed as a Cornell University Medical College research associate, which led to the formation of the Aviation Crash Injury Research group (AvCIR). Since then, a small pioneering research group has grown into a diversified and dynamic technical services company devoted to the same principles of science and safety that Hugh DeHaven embraced nearly a century ago.

Today, more than 37 years strong, Exodyne has two subsidiaries: Dynamic Science, Inc. (DSI), Dynamic Educational Systems, Inc. (DESI), as well as affiliate Exodyne Properties, Inc. (EPI).

Doug Rockow, President of Exodyne, manages the company on the same principles as Ralph.

Highlights In Exodyne History

1990

DESI is incorporated and continues working with youth as a Department of Labor contractor.

1986

Exodyne, Inc., forms Exodyne Properties, Inc. (EPI) on 1 May 1986 as a real estate management and investment vehicle.

1985

DSI begins to work with youth as a Department of Labor contractor.

1982

Ralph Rockow forms Exodyne, Inc., and purchases DSI in October.

1976

Talley Industries, Inc., purchases DSI.

1972

Ultrasystems, Inc., acquires DSI in March.

1971

AvSER moves to a new test facility at 19th Ave. and Pinnacle Peak Rd.

1968

Dynamic Science, Inc. (DSI), a division of Marshall Industries, purchases AvSER. Ralph Rockow joins DSI.

1966

AvSER carries out crashworthy fuel systems for rotary-wing aircraft.

1966

AvSER organizes advanced testing on aircraft crew restraint seating and helmet systems.

1965

AvSER performs aircraft crash tests using simulated nuclear payloads.

1964

AvSER conducts the first aircraft test using passenger airbags.

1960

AvCIR broadens its scope and changes its name to Aviation Safety Engineering and Research (AvSER).

1959

DSI begins long-range programs to determine the kinetics and kinematics of the U.S. Army aircraft crash environment. This later expands to include full-scale crash tests determining the effects on aircraft structure, systems, and equipment.

1959

The Flight Safety Foundation assumes ownership of AvSER.

1957

AvSER moves from New York to the Deer Valley Airport in Phoenix, Arizona.

1942

From 1942 to 1959, DSI focuses on the collection of aviation crash test data through direct accident investigation and AvSER program agency participation.

1942

DeHaven becomes a Cornell University Medical College research associate, which leads to the formation of the Aviation Crash Injury Research group (AvCIR). DSI was originally established to assist in the crash injury research project.

1937

The U.S. Navy asks DeHaven to make its planes safer.

1917

Hugh DeHaven is injured in an airplane training flight and begins to research aviation safety.

DSI 156 Acre Crash Test Track in Phoenix, AZ

DSI performed crash tests on numerous vehicles.
Learn More

Exodyne Historic Photos

Click on the link below to view Exodyne’s historic photo gallery.
Historic Photos